Do you know the meaning of software counterfeiting? Windows has been updating its OS product over the time with new fixes and features. However, it never succeeded to come up with an OS version that would serve without a glance of functional error. One of the most common errors faced by Windows OS users is the “You may be a victim of Software Counterfeiting error” that indicates the Windows version you are using is not genuine. The error may occur in all kind of Windows OS version whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit. Of course, there is an effective way to fix the issue, and we are here to talk about it.
The solution I am about to share with you will be working on Windows XP, 7, 8, and 8.1. Thus, irrespective of the Windows version you are using, except Windows 10, this guide on “How to Fix You may be a victim of Software counterfeiting error” will beneficial to you.
Root Cause Of You May Be a Victim of Software Counterfeiting error
The Windows error is quite commonly encountered in the older versions like Windows XP. Some newer versions like Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 or on windows11 are also reported to face the very problem. The same issue might also show up in various forms as such “Ask for genuine Microsoft software”, “This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation”, etc. And the root cause of these issues may be one or more. Have a quick glance on the possible reasons of the Windows OS related problem.
- Installation or using of Pirated Windows version may lead to such problem.
- Using crack activation of any Windows OS will counter such issue.
- Failure of recent Windows update or updating WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage).
- Sometimes even if you install a genuine version of Windows OS, the error could occur. This is because you might have buy the Windows from third-party source.
Prevention is better than cure. This is why you are suggested to use only the genuine versions of Windows OS. That’s also not from any third-party source but only from Microsoft Windows Store. You are also advised to activate any new Windows OS properly to prevent such problem.
How to Fix ‘You may be a victim of software counterfeiting’ Error
There are a handful of options to fix ‘You may be a victim of Software Counterfeiting’ error on your Windows computer. I will be guiding the best solution that works in all Windows OS versions effectively. Also, I will make sure that such issue does not occur in the future.
This is a quite long process but it works way better than any fixation. Follow the instruction carefully.
Step 1: Open your Task Manage, press “Ctrl + Alt + Del” keys together for the shortcut.
Step 2: Clicking on “Task Manager” option and switch to “Process”.
Step 3: From current running task list, locate and click on the “Wgtray.exe” followed by hitting on “End Task” button.
Step 4: Now “Restart” your Windows computer.
Step 5: While restarting, right before the Windows boot starts, press the ‘F8’ key for login to Safe Mode.
Step 6: Once in the Safe Mode, open your “My Computer” and navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and then find to delete “Wgatray.exe” file.
Step 7: You have to delete the Wgatray.exe file from C:\Windows\System32\dllcache as well. (if ‘dllcache‘ file is hidden, enable your system to see hidden files)
Step 8: Now, open Run by pressing “Windows Key + R” and then type ‘redegit’ to launch Registry Editor.
Step 9: Next, go through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notifykey.
Step 10: Once you are in, locate and delete the WgaLogon folder and contents in it.
Step 11: Finally “Restart” your Windows machine over again.
The above-instructed method will definitely fix the windows software counterfeiting issue. As playing with the Windows registry is not the style for anyone, people who are facing the issue may try alternative fixations. If you are using a genuine Windows OS, you may simply Restore your system to get rid of the ‘You may be a victim of software counterfeiting’ problem. But even though if the error is not yet solved with this method then you can also try out the method that we have given below.
As this error you may be a victim of software counterfeiting may be caused due to Windows update. So you can try remove WAT from your PC and this is the best utility with which you can activate your Windows. So let’s a look at the steps to remove WAT.
- First of all, for doing this step you will need to stop your PC Antivirus for a few moments. Now simply install the software Remove WAT on your PC and then run it on your PC.
- So now open the software on your PC and you will find that your PC will get restart after a few minutes. As soon as your PC get restarted you will find that you are not facing the error anymore on your device. Also if you want to check you can go to System Properties and check if the Windows is activated or not.
Restore All Your Previous Data:
Restoring back all your data is also one of the best ways to fix this error. As data also plays one of the important role in Windows activation and fixing this kind of error. So here below are the steps that you need to follow to restore all your data.
- Go to the Start menu of your PC and then right click on the MY Computer and go to the properties. After you go to the properties the System Windows tab will appear on the screen and then go to the System Protection option. Now select the System restore option and check out if all the data is present or not.
- Simply click on the Restore button, but you should know that only the data will get restored before the error is created on your PC. The process will get automatically done and you will need to restart your PC normally to accept the changes.
So this is the simple step with the help of which you can fix the error “You may be a victim of software counterfeiting”. These steps are the best and is working for all types of Windows version. So you don’t need to get confused if your Windows version is suitable or not.
There is also a tool available that will automatically fix the issue by removing WGA from your system. The tool is called RemoveWGA. The tool works with all kind of Windows versions and has a simple user interface.So, if you are facing the problem on your Windows computer that says ‘You may be a victim of software counterfeiting,’ the solution I have discussed here will be helpful to get rid of that. If you are still facing the problem or stuck in following the method, do share your problem in the comment box.